Assignment 01 | GD 220-01 | SPRING 2016 | 3 CREDITS
Adapted from an assignment by Mark Sanders
HTML / CSS webpage
Assign: Song selection, lyrics, analysis and sketches
Assign: Symbols / images / text and modular compositions
Assign: HTML / CSS structure
Assign: Final project edits
Final Files Due
- Pick a song that has lyrics
- Extract all the lyrics as text. Be sure to type them exactly as they appear in the song, ie. preserve repetition or word/syllable/line breaks.
- Analyze the rhythm and sequence of the lyrics. Is it even throughout? Are there more powerful moments? Does it build? Do any elements repeat? Is there a transformation?
- Sketch vertical compositions that visually represent your analysis and interpretation of the lyrics. What do lateral or vertical movement communicate? What do white space and gaps communicate? What does size communicate? What does density communicate?
- Create symbols, images and/or typography to represent your interpretation of the song lyrics.
- Translate sketches into a modular composition that utilizes scale, form, and counter form to visually communicate your interpretation of the lyrics.
- Combine modular structure, symbol, image, and text into a coded (HTML/CSS) map for your interpretation of the song lyrics.
- Refine your lyrical map based on feedback from classmates.
- Must represent every lyric (including repetitions)
- All text must be HTML / CSS
- No interaction beside scrolling